I’ve written a number of educational articles about federated search for this blog and for other venues but I had always skirted around the issue of explaining what exactly federated search is. Finally, I’ve written a primer for people who are comfortable with search engines but want to understand what federated search is all about.
The primer answers these questions in very understandable terms:
- How does federated search facilitate research?
- How do typical search engines crawl the web?
- What is the trouble with crawling?
- What makes federated search different?
- What are three major benefits of federated search?
- What is a definition of federated search that most people would agree on?
- What are some good examples of federated search engines I can play with?
- Where can I learn more?