Jill Hurst-Wahl of Digitization 101, yesterday published a list of blogs and presentations related to federated search. Here is Jill’s blog list:
- The Blog Libific by Peter McCracken, librarian and co-founder of Serials Solutions
- Federated Search Blog written primarily by Sol Lederman and sponsored by Deep Web Technologies
- MUSEings written by MuseGlobal CEO Kate Noerr
- Search Done Right, a team blog by Vivisimo, which is a more broadly focused blog
- Beyond Search by Steve Arnold at Arnold IT, which focuses on all corners of the search industry, including federated search
I’ll add two blogs to her list:
- AltSearchEngines focuses on “expand[ing] coverage of search engines to include the hundreds of alternative / niche search engines.” While not specifically focused on federated search, AltSearchEngines does cover federated search and metasearch engines.
- Deep Web Research Marcus Zillman’s blog “for monitoring deep web research resources and sites on the Internet.” This blog also does not focus on federated search but the link between deep web resources and federated search engines is an intimate one.
Beyond blogs, Jill lists some excellent presentations. In July I reviewed 21 outstanding federated search presentations. I also maintain a list of resources that includes Wikipedia definitions, checklists, web-sites, presentations, videos, tutorials, and more. And, there are a number of posts in this blog’s resources category.
Finally, Jill mentions her Federated Search Report and Tool Kit, which I reviewed favorably last month.
Between Jill’s resource list and mine, if you’re new to federated search or if you’re wanting to deepen your understanding of the technology, you have plenty of bedtime reading material to enjoy in the coming year.